LAS VEGAS – Trimble released SketchUp 2015, the latest version of the world's most widely used 3D modeling software for architects, engineers, design and construction professionals, as well as members of the global maker community. This release marks Trimble's second update to the SketchUp software this year and underscores the company's continued focus on enhancing the platform to make SketchUp faster, more user-friendly and reliable for the thousands of professionals who use it every day.
The announcement was made at Trimble Dimensions Nov. 4.
With a SketchUp user community expanding by more 30 million unique activations in the past year, enhancements to SketchUp 2015 have been designed to deepen and enrich the user experience, while keeping it intuitive. New features make it easier and faster to create, access, share and collaborate on 2D drawings and 3D models. SketchUp 2015 offers 64-bit support for Windows or Mac, while IFC file import capabilities allows back-and-forth sharing of IFC files between SketchUp Pro and any other application.
"For the second release of SketchUp this year, we set out to make enhancements to the platform that might seem simple, but go a long way toward making SketchUp more enjoyable and impactful for our user community," said John Bacus, director of SketchUp product management at Trimble. "For example, as interoperability continues to be the cornerstone of collaboration among architecture, engineering and construction professionals, the IFC file import is an important addition because it opens up the options for professionals to participate in the information modeling process, sharing files with ease, regardless of the software program."
Fast, flexible and powerful
- 64-bit Support: In addition to continued support for 32-bit systems, SketchUp Pro 2015 is available in a 64-bit version for Windows and Mac. Trimble also now offers cross-platform support for all licenses, along with cloud-based license management and checkout capabilities for network licenses.
- IFC Import: In addition to export, SketchUp Pro users can now share models between Building Information Modeling (BIM) tools and apply industry standard types that stay with the model as it travels with SketchUp 2015's new IFC file import.
- Ruby API and Extension Warehouse Enhancements: A variety of improvements to SketchUp's Ruby API (application programming interface) and to the Extension Warehouse of SketchUp plug-ins and add-ons makes it easier than ever for developers to build and share great new tools. Developers can now access and modify information modeling classifications via the Ruby API.
- Faster Core: Models render faster with core modeling performance improvements including faster explode, intersect and Fast Styles.
More Easy-to-Use Tools
- Professional Drafting: Using SketchUp's LayOut 2D drawing and documentation tool, users can manage drawings more easily and display more data from their information models, applying object classifications in SketchUp and easily accessing that info in LayOut using an enhanced annotation tool.
- Modeling Tools: With the addition of a 3-point Arc tool, users can now draw arced edges four different ways. A new Rotated Rectangle tool allows for drawing precise rectangles unbound by default axes.
- Expanded 3D Warehouse: New models of popular brand-name building products are added to 3D Warehouse every day, greatly expanding SketchUp's free content offering. With over 2.5 million models, 3D Warehouse offers SketchUp users a vast array of free models to choose from. A new "Likes" feature lets users tell the world when they've found a great model.
Collaborate across Trimble products
SketchUp 2015 also facilitates collaboration with data and files from other Trimble® products.
As a "Trimble Connected" product, SketchUp Pro 2015 leverages the new Trimble Connect collaboration environment for design, engineering and construction projects. Based on recently acquired Gehry Technologies' GTeam™ software, Trimble Connect enables teams to access and manage project data via a cloud platform. A Trimble Connect extension is available in the Extension Warehouse.
SketchUp Pro 2015 also supports 3D CAD and BIM services for mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) contractors through the new Trimble MEPdesigner for SketchUp platform, which enables contractors to quickly and easily migrate from a 2D to 3D work environment.
Calibrated panoramic photos can be loaded directly into SketchUp 2015 from the Trimble V10 Imaging Rover, to quickly model as-built conditions.
Try, buy and use SketchUp
SketchUp 2015 is available now. Every SketchUp 2015 download starts with a 30-day trial of Pro features. Even better, 2015 Pro licenses can be used on a Mac or a PC. Additional details and downloads are available at: www.sketchup.com. Information on new platform licensing options can be found at: http://www.sketchup.com/buy/sketchup-pro.