GAITHERSBURG, Maryland – The Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE), the world’s leading professional society for fire protection and fire safety engineering, invites fire protection engineering professionals to learn about and register for two upcoming in-person events. The “SFPE Forum on Fire Protection Engineering: Challenges in Storage” will be held September 8-9, in Chicago, IL; the “SFPE Seminar on Protecting Flammable and Combustible Liquids” will be held November 10-11 in San Antonio, TX.
The 2-day, in-person “SFPE Forum on Fire Protection Engineering: Challenges in Storage” will be held September 8-9, in Chicago, IL, and highlight the design challenges of storage facilities that interfere with fire suppression and fire alarm systems. The Forum will feature a large-scale fire test at Underwriters Laboratories in Northbrook, IL, with topics and speakers including:
- William Koffel, Koffel Associates
- Automatic Storage: Wes Baker, FM Global
- Protection of Multi-Row Storage Racks: Tracey Bellamy, Telgian
- Special Commodity Storage: John LeBlanc, FM Global; and Christina Francis, Tesla
- Fire Service Suppression and Extinguishment: Sean DeCrane, UL; John Frank, AXA XL
- Cold Storage Design Considerations: Robert Vincent, Shambaugh & Son
- Sloped Ceilings: Noah Ryder, Fire & Risk Alliance
- Design Area for K-28 and K-33.6 ESFR: Kerry Bell, UL; Wes Baker, FM Global; James Golinveaux, Viking Group
- Controversial topics panel – NFPA 13 and 72 2025 relative to storage: Will Smith, CCI; Rodger Reiswig, Johnson Controls
- Installation Challenges and New Guidelines: Ron Webb, S A Comunale; Garner Palenske, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- Fire Alarm System Challenges: Robert Accosta, Jr., Arup
- Back to Reality, John Denhardt, American Fire Alarm Association
The 2-day, in-person “SFPE Seminar on Protecting Flammable and Combustible Liquids” will be held November 10-11 in San Antonio, TX, and address a broad range of issues related to safe handling and storage of flammable and combustible liquids. Led by David Nugent, Manager of Code & Project Services, Global Risk Consultants, and hosted at Southwest Research Institute, the course will include a review of certain large fire losses; fundamental risk determinants; fire testing and defining the risk; strategic planning for safe operations and storage; navigating and understanding the relevant fire codes, regulations, and standards; and using passive and active features for specific occupancies. The course features live fire demonstrations including:
- Pool fire heat release rate test under large-scale calorimeter;
- Pool fire extinguishing test applying SFFF through a discharge device (aspirating or non-aspirating);
- Discharging water onto a medium-sized grease fire; and
- Jet-fire exposure test onto fireproofed steel element.
“These two events will provide attendees with the opportunity to receive best-in-class learning and one-of-a-kind experiences to ensure they have the knowledge needed to reduce fire risk and save lives,” stated Nicole Boston, CAE, Chief Executive Officer, Society of Fire Protection Engineers. “I encourage all engineering professionals involved in storage and flammable liquids to join our SFPE expert members in Chicago and San Antonio to learn, network, and connect with their peers.”
Capacity at both events is limited; make plans now to join us at the “SFPE Forum on Fire Protection Engineering: Challenges in Storage” and/or the “SFPE Seminar on Protecting Flammable and Combustible Liquids” – learn more and register at sfpe.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-301-915-9727 with questions.