Herk-de-Stad, Belgium — SCIA, a provider of structural engineering software, announced the six winners of the 10th edition of the SCIA User Contest, aptly named “The Art of Structural Design.” The contest represents impressive and inspiring work of some of the world’s top engineers.
In total, 124 outstanding international structural and civil engineering projects participated in the SCIA User Contest 2017. Utilizing SCIA Engineer as the structural analysis and design software, all of these projects not only demonstrated originality and know-how but many also focused on sustainability and the application of BIM.
An international jury of eight experts from the industry and academia selected a winner in four categories: buildings, civil structures, industrial buildings and plants and special projects. The jury also awarded the best BIM project with the “Special Prize of the Jury” for its advanced implementation of BIM.
As in the last edition, SCIA organized the “Prize of the Public” contest on the company’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/scia.engineer/posts/10159273082115548) at the end of June 2017, revealing all the participating projects to the public who had the opportunity to vote on their favorite ones. Over 10,000 people worldwide visited the contest page, and all projects received over 2,700 votes. The winner with the most votes received the “Prize of the Public” award.
“Every one of the projects in the User Contest 2017 was truly a remarkable showcase of the very art of structural design. I am proud of the work our customers have been able to achieve with SCIA Engineer. Their success and results inspire and empower us to innovate and to provide structural engineers with the tool that enables them to do anything they aspire,” said Hilde Sevens, CEO at SCIA.
- Category 1 – Buildings: The Port House in Antwerp, Belgium – Mouton cvba.
- Category 2 – Civil Structures: Bridge over Rhine River in Strasbourg, France / Kehl, Germany – Ingenieursbureau Stendess N.V.
- Category 3 – Industrial Buildings and Plants: Shoaiba II Power Plant in Shoaiba, Saudi Arabia – I.d.d. Engineering.
- Category 4 – Special Projects: Rafael Núñez Airport expansion in Cartagena De Indias, Colombia – Estra Engenharia ltda.
- Prize of the Jury for the best BIM project: Football Stadium in Dunajská Streda, Slovakia – HESCON s.r.o.
- Prize of the Public: Centre Point in London, United Kingdom – Pell Frischmann.
All six winners are awarded a prize of €1,500 each ($1,800).
SCIA launched the User Contest in 1992 with dozens of participating projects in several European countries. Since 2005, the company has organized the contest every other year, and the number of competing projects has grown to over 100 from around the world.
Details on all the participating projects and winners of the 10th edition are published in “The Art of Structural Design 2017” book available in a hardcover and online format at https://www.scia.net/en/company/news/announcing-winners-scia-user-contest-2017.