Medaro Mining Corp. (CSE: MEDA) (OTC:MEDAF) (FSE:1ZY) (“Medaro” or the “Company”), a multi-faceted venture aimed at developing an innovative hard rock lithium extraction method concurrent with its lithium focused exploration in Canada, is pleased to announce the filing of two provisional patent applications (PPAs) on its proprietary spodumene processing technology (the “Technology”).
Lithium is a key component of batteries used in electric vehicles, which have become increasingly popular as the world transitions to cleaner energy sources. However, current methods of extracting lithium from the spodumene in globally widespread lithium pegmatite ore deposits are expensive and environmentally damaging.
Medaro’s Technology, which has been in development for almost two years, addresses these challenges by streamlining the lithium extraction process and minimizing environmental impacts. The Technology utilizes a combination of physical and chemical steps to extract both lithium and aluminum from spodumene with high efficiency and low environmental impact. The key characteristics of the Technology are:
- it will rapidly manufacture high-purity lithium carbonate and/or lithium hydroxide monohydrate from spodumene concentrates with widely varying Li2O contents;
- it only requires three feedstock materials (spodumene concentrate, carbon dioxide, and water);
- it will be compact, modular, highly scalable, and amenable to deployment in remote geographic locations;
- it produces commercial grade aluminum hydroxide/oxide as a saleable by-product;
- it can be powered entirely by green electricity; and
- its closed-loop internal recycling design significantly reduces overall processing time and costs, producing only a trivial amount of environmental waste.
Factoring in all of the above, the Technology holds the potential to reduce overall spodumene processing costs by at least 30% to 50%.
“We are thrilled to have filed PPAs on this ground-breaking technology,” said Faizaan Lalani, Medaro’s President. “Our team has been working tirelessly to develop a solution that makes spodumene-sourced lithium extraction more sustainable, and we believe this technology is a major step in that direction.”
The Technology has already been successfully tested at the bench-scale laboratory level, and Medaro is currently finalizing plans to build its first pilot plant in the United States. The Company is also exploring partnerships with other mining companies, in various capacities, to further advance the lithium mining industry.