(HOUSTON – March 20, 2020) As the civil engineering industry deals with the growing threat of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 crisis, Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN), a national planning, engineering and program management firm, is responding proactively with various measures to mitigate the situation and protect the health of employees, clients and the communities it serves.
LAN has instituted a Coronavirus Response and Continuity Plan, following CDC guidance on travel and personal protection, including sanitization practices, hygiene standards, social distancing best practices and work-from-home policies. The plan, implemented several weeks ago, is comprised of a joint, coordinated, and multi-disciplined plan among operations, IT, human resources, finance and accounting, internal and external communications and legal. According to this plan, the firm has implemented the following actions across the company:
First, all employees have been advised to work from home until further notice. To continue delivering the highest level of client service:
- The firm will leverage its communications, security, mobile hardware, and cloud computing capabilities, which includes programs such as WebEx, Cisco Jabber, Microsoft Teams and a host of other tools.
- LAN employees can access all offices for printing, shipping, and other production tasks on an as-needed basis.
Second, LAN has a moratorium on all international business travel and nonessential domestic air travel:
- Employees who have traveled to a country listed as a Level 3 Warning by the CDC, been exposed to someone who has coronavirus or tested positive for the coronavirus, are required to self-isolate/quarantine for 14 days from the date the employee was last exposed.
- All employees who are self-isolating are required to inform the firm’s human resources team prior to returning to work.
- LAN employees will continue to meet site visit obligations and participate in client meetings, consistent with governmental guidance.
“Our foremost concern is the health and safety of our employees and our clients,” said Wayne Swafford, LAN’s president. “At the same time, we are also committed to delivering the kind of service our clients have come to expect from us. And most importantly, clear and timely communication is paramount during this uncertain time. We are communicating constantly with our employees and clients through external and internal channels to reassure that we are looking out for them.”
As COVID-19 increases in severity, LAN will continue to monitor the status and keep its employees and clients updated on new measures and policies.
LAN is a full-service consulting firm offering planning, engineering and program management services for the nation’s heavy civil infrastructure needs. With more than 350 employees across the United States, LAN is a national leader in the engineering industry and is consistently ranked among the “Top 100 A/E Firms” according to Engineering News-Record. LAN is a LEO A DALY company, an international architecture and engineering firm.