CHICAGO — Fourteen structural steel building projects have earned national recognition in the 2011 Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel awards program (IDEAS2). Conducted annually by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), the IDEAS2 awards recognize outstanding achievements in engineering and architecture on steel-framed building projects throughout the United States.
The winning projects will be recognized on May 11 during AISC’s 2011 NASCC: The Steel Conference in Pittsburgh. A panel of design and construction industry professionals identified National and Merit winners in three categories, based on constructed value: projects less than $15 million; projects $15 million to $75 million; and projects greater than $75 million. In addition, the panel awarded a Presidential Award of Excellence to one project for structural engineering accomplishment.
Covering an array of project types including an airport terminal, a boutique office tower in Manhattan, a modern horse ranch in Texas, an action-sport trampoline facility, two power plant adaptive reuse facilities, and a tranquil park trail restroom, this year’s IDEAS2 winners demonstrate the flexible and effective solutions provided by structural steel on a wide variety of building projects. Each project was judged on its use of structural steel, with an emphasis on creative solutions to project requirements; design innovation; aesthetic and visual impact of the project; innovative use of architecturally exposed structural steel; technical or architectural advances in the use of the steel; the use of innovative design and construction methods; and sustainable design and construction.
The 14 IDEAS2 winners were chosen from nearly 100 submissions received from architectural and engineering firms throughout the United States. The 2011 award-winning projects include:
Projects less than $15 million
- National Award: Rio Roca on the Brazos religious facility, Palo Pinto, Texas
- National Award: Buckner Companies Home Office, Graham, N.C.
- National Award: Cutting Horse Ranch facility, North Texas
- Merit Award: The Power Plant at Rocketts Landing commercial adaptive reuse, Richmond, Va.
- Merit Award: Montecito Residence, Montecito, Calif.
- Merit Award: House of Air commercial adaptive reuse, Presidio Building 926, San Francisco
- Merit Award: Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail Restroom, Austin
Projects $15 million to $75 million
- National Award: New Gateway Building, Westchester Community College, Valhalla, N.Y.
- National Award: National Renewable Energy Laboratory Research Support Facility, Golden, Colo.
- National Award: Hypar Pavilion at Lincoln Center, N.Y.
Projects greater than $75 million
- National Award: Mineta San Jose International Airport Terminal B and Concourse, San Jose, Calif.
- National Award: National Alabama Corporation Railcar Manufacturing Facility, Cherokee, Ala.
- Merit Award: 510 Madison Avenue, N.Y.
Presidential Award of Excellence in engineering
- Ottawa Street Power Station commercial adaptive reuse, Lansing, Mich.