Broomfield, Colo. — Flatiron Construction Corp. along with its partner AECOM were named Apparent Selected Proposer by the Colorado Department of Transportation to design and build the $215 million, 12-mile C-470 Tolled Express Lanes Segment 1 project in the Denver metro area. The fully integrated design and construction team is led by FLATIRON with AECOM providing construction and design services for the project.
"FLATIRON is proud to be leading the team that includes our outstanding partner, AECOM, to build Colorado's most critical transportation link in Denver's south metro area," said John DiCiurcio, FLATIRON Chief Executive Officer. "The FLATIRON-AECOM team looks forward to partnering with CDOT to deliver a successful project."
Michael S. Burke, AECOM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, added: "We look forward to the opportunity to improve the transportation infrastructure that will benefit thousands of drivers in the Denver area for years to come. We are proud to continue our long-standing relationship with FLATIRON and excited to partner on this important and regionally significant effort."
The project includes the following major components:
- Adding two tolled express lanes on westbound C-470 from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard, one tolled express lane between Colorado and Wadsworth Boulevard on westbound C-470, and one tolled express lane eastbound C-470 from Wadsworth to I-25, along with reconstruction of a portion of existing pavement
- Adding auxiliary lanes at selected locations
- Replacing the bridges over the South Platte River
- Widening of existing bridges throughout the project area
- Installing water-quality features where required
- Installing Intelligent Transportation Systems elements and tolling equipment
- Improving portions of on-ramps and off-ramps to current standards
- Realigning substandard curves
- Safety and operational improvements along C-470 between I-25 and Quebec by adding direct-connect ramps from I-25 to the C-470 tolled express lanes
- Installing noise barriers where required
- Adding grade separations for the multi-use trail at Quebec and Colorado
The FLATIRON-AECOM team was selected from among three shortlisted teams at the price opening held March 30, 2016. Teams were evaluated based on a best value determination using criteria such as ability to achieve optimization of traffic operations, optimization of life-cycle maintenance costs, ability to achieve project milestones and minimization of impact to the public during project construction.
Construction of the project is anticipated to begin this summer and is projected to be complete in early 2019. More information about the project can be found at https://www.codot.gov/projects/c470ExpressLanes.