HOUSTON- The Cleveland Independent School District selected Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN) as the program manager for its $198 million bond program.
Cleveland ISD is the fastest-growing school district in Texas. Over the last three years, the school district has grown approximately 20 percent each year. Last year, 1,000 new students enrolled in Cleveland ISD, resulting in the district spending more than $3 million on portable buildings. To handle this explosive growth, in November 2019, voters passed a $198 million bond measure.
The bond package will include funds for several projects, including:
- Two new elementary campuses that will relieve overcrowding at Eastside Elementary and address continued growth. The new elementary schools, which will have a prototype design, will accommodate 950 students each.
- A new middle school to relieve overcrowding at Cleveland Middle School. The new middle school will also have a prototype design and accommodate 1,600 students.
- Improvements and renovations to Northside Elementary to build it to its capacity of 950 students.
- Improvements to the existing baseball and softball fields at Cleveland High School, including new turf, press box and other amenities.
- A new administration building.
LAN will provide comprehensive program management services including design review, construction procurement and administration, scheduling and budgeting services, among others.
“We are excited to be a part of Cleveland ISD’s bond program,” said JP Grom, AIA, LAN’s vice president and team leader. “We are looking forward to helping the school district manage its growth and providing students the environment and infrastructure needed to succeed in the 21st century.”
Construction of the new elementary schools and middle school is scheduled for completion in July 2022.