DENVER — CH2M HILL published its Sustainability Report 2012, the company’s fifth sustainability report since 2005 and the first one with an expanded company-wide greenhouse gas inventory and emissions assessment.
As one of the first engineering and construction companies to publish a sustainability report and launch an internal environmental management system that follows ISO 14001 guidelines, CH2M HILL has been recognized as a leader in climate change consulting (2009), sustainable engineering (2010), andenvironmental services (2012) by Verdantix, an independent analyst firm focused on sustainable business issues.
CH2M HILL’s report, its second produced entirely online, documents the firm’s key measurement and improvement areas:
• Reduced paper consumption by 71 tonnes in 2011, which equates to a decrease of 14.6 percent compared to revenue. Most of our offices recycle, and 100 percent have materials reuse programs.
• Conserving water and replacing equipment with more environmentally friendly options at owned facilities in Canada and Alaska, as well as our headquarters in Denver.
• Saved more than 11.7 million kilowatt-hours of electricity, 295,000 therms of gas, and 195.5 million liters of water by helping clients build green buildings.
• Helped our operations & maintenance clients divert 660 tonnes of waste, reuse 1.9 million cubic meters of effluent, and save US$1.2 million each year.
“Our clients expect us to provide innovative, cost effective, and comprehensive solutions and technologies that will help them become stronger environmental stewards, while our employees are committed to doing the same with our internal operations,” says CH2M HILL CEO Lee McIntire. “We are proud of our sustainability leadership in the industry.”
Reflecting the company’s expanded focus on water, energy, and climate change issues, the report contains the following highlights:
• CH2M HILL’s sustainability programs around the world;
• profiles and commitments of some of CH2M HILL’s sustainability leaders;
• water conservation strategies for clients, as well as water and environmental improvements at CH2M HILL’s facilities in Canada and Alaska;
• greenhouse gas emissions inventory and assessment;
• stories about CH2M HILL’s partnerships with communities around the world;
• awards received for sustainability leadership, safety, and diversity; and
• information about CH2M HILL’s supply chain management.
By measuring and reporting on its own sustainability metrics, CH2M HILL actively participates in the United Nations Global Compact . CH2M HILL’s Sustainable Solutions website offers more information about the company’s work to help its clients’ organizations to become more sustainable.