Washington, D.C. — The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) announced the program for the 2018 CFSEI Annual Expo, which will be held May 15-16, 2018 at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside Hotel, 1355 N. Harbor Drive in San Diego. This event is designed for architects, builders/contractors and engineers, with an educational program geared toward both skilled cold-formed steel (CFS) framing professionals as well as newcomers.
This year, the Expo includes a choice of two pre-conference tours — University of California – San Diego Testing Lab, and a cold-formed steel project in San Diego.
The Expo includes several Continuing Education Sessions available for PDHs and a trade show featuring the latest technologies in cold-formed steel framing. The technical sessions include:
- “Design and Detailing of Cold-Formed Steel Headers Curved in Plan” – T. Patrick Earney, P.E., S.E., McClure Engineering
- “Cold-Formed Steel Classroom” – Roger A. LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures
- “Taking Building Information Modeling (BIM) to the Next Level – Can We Fabricate Cold-Formed Steel Panels Like They Build Cars?” – Rudy Trujillo and Kirsten Zeydel, S.E., Digital Building Components
- “BIM Forum” – Paul Dalia, P.E., Chairman, CFSEI BIM Committee and 5400 Engineering
- “Are Exterior Cold-Formed Steel Walls Adequately Addressing Building Movement?” – Kirsten Zeydel, S.E., Digital Building Components
- “A Structural Engineer’s Guide to Nonstructural EQ Studs” – Jeffrey Klaiman, P.E., ADTEK Engineers, Inc.
- “Effective Communication Tips for Engineers” – Annie Kao, P.E., Simpson Strong-Tie Company, Inc.
- “Connections of Cold-Formed Steel Trusses to a Building Structure” – Bill Babich, P.E., TrusSteel
- “Case Study: Metreau Apartments – Seven-Story Panelized Load-Bearing Construction” – Patrick Hainault, P.E., Matsen Ford Design Associates, Inc.
- “Shear Wall Design” – Robert Madsen, P.E., Devco Engineering, Inc.
- “Design Forum” – Moderators Roger A. LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures; and Jennifer Zabik, P.E., S.E., Zabik-Turner Engineering
An update on “UCSD Six-Story Shake Table Test and New Cold-Formed Steel Testing” will be conducted by Tara Hutchinson of the University of California – San Diego. The CFSEI Awards Presentation will also take place, with winners announced in the Design Excellence and Innovative Details categories as well as the John P. Matsen Award for Distinguished Service.
CFSEI Expo sponsorship opportunities are still available at the Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze and Supporter levels. CFSEI thanked current sponsors:
- Platinum: Aegis Metal Framing, ClarkDietrich Building Systems, USG
- Silver: CEMCO Steel Framing
- Bronze: Argos Systems, Marino\WARE, SCAFCO Steel Stud Company, Simpson Strong-Tie Company, Inc., TrusSteel
A special conference rate for hotel reservations at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside Hotel is available through April 14, 2018. Early registration and hotel room reservations are encouraged. For more information on registration, sponsorship opportunities and awards, visit www.cfsei.org.