The American Shore & Beach Preservation Association (ASBPA), in cooperation with the Coastal Zone Foundation, announced the Call for Abstracts for its 2019 National Coastal Conference, October 22-25 at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center in Myrtle Beach, SC.
ASBPA is the nation’s first organization to promote science-based policies for the preservation of coastal areas. The theme of the 2019 conference, “Where Coasts & Rivers Meet” continues to broaden its focus across the entire physical coastal and estuarine system. The National Coastal Conference provides an opportunity for coastal stakeholders and managers to develop collaborative networks to promote best management practices, while learning the latest science, engineering and policy needed to maintain and improve the health of beachfront and estuarine shorelines and ecosystems.
In addition to the usual content of coastal science and engineering, policy and management, restoration and resilience, this year ASBPA’s conference has a dedicated call for presentations on flood risk and resource management within coastal floodplains. Specifically, it is looking at challenges of watershed tidal interfaces especially when considering the impacts of Sea Level Rise (SLR); ASBPA wants to hear about natural resource management and restoration projects within these same zones and the specific challenges attributed to working in upland and coastal lands, share experiences in dealing with issues such as king tides and the impacts on the urban flooding environment.
Technical, policy-oriented, and coastal floodplain resource and flood risk management presentations or posters are invited for a broad range of coastal & estuarine ecology, science, engineering, economics, and policy. Specific topics include, but are not limited to:
- Design Concepts and Projects
- Green/Grey Infrastructure and Living Shorelines
- Regional Comprehensive Coastal Studies
- Lessons Learned from tropical storms/hurricanes (Florence, Michael etc.)
- Coastal & Estuarine Floodplain Landscape Architecture
- Coastal & Estuarine Floodplain Modeling
- Coastal Hazard Mapping & Analysis Tools
- Coastal & Estuarine Floodplain Resiliency
- Sea Level Guidance, Planning and Adaptive Management
- Beach Restoration and Coastal Structures
- Lagoon, Wetland, Marsh, and Estuary Restoration and Enhancement
- Regional Sediment Management
- Economics of Coastal Resources
- Federal, State, and Local Coastal Policy, Regulatory and Legal Issues
- Sand Source Rights
- Coastal Infrastructure Management
- Resiliency and Adaptation Approaches within Coastal Communities
- “Nuisance Flooding” and Urban Flooding Challenges
Presentations may be PowerPoint or poster format. Abstracts (up to 500 words) are due by May 4, 2019. Submit abstracts via the online form at http://asbpa.org/2019/02/07/2019-national-coastal-conference-abstract-submittal. Presenters are responsible for all of their expenses including travel, lodging, and registration fees. Notification of presentation status will occur by June 24, 2019.