New York — The Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation (BWAF) received grants from the New York Building Foundation and the New York Council for the Humanities to identify 100 outstanding structures and built environments, either contemporary or historic, designed and/or constructed by women in New York City. The foundation invites nominations of women using the following criteria:
The structure or built environment must have a woman who was directly responsible for leading the design (architecture, engineering, or landscape) or who led the construction, either from the development or construction management team.
Projects must be completed or have broken ground and located in New York City.
The jurors for Built by Women (BxW) NYC include:
- Deborah Berke, FAIA, Principal, Deborah Berke Partners
- Joan Blumenfeld, FAIA, Principal and Global Interior Design Director, Perkins + Will
- Aine Brazil, PE, Managing Principal, Thornton Tomasetti
- Fiona Cousins, PE, Principal, ARUP
- Cheryl McKissack Daniel, President & CEO, McKissack & McKissack
- Andrea Leers, FAIA, Principal, Leers Weinzapfel Associates
- Audrey Matlock, FAIA, Principal, Audrey Matlock Architects
- Laura Starr, ASLA, Partner, Starr Whitehouse Landscape Architects and Planners
Nominations will be accepted now until October 31, with an announcement of the BxW NYC finalists in late November. Over the next year, walking tours, interactive maps, and other educational materials will be developed to highlight women’s contributions to the built environment and BWAF will host local events to publicize the spaces.
Nominations form are available at http://bwaf.org/bxwnyc.