Once again, Structural Engineer is seeking nominations for its Rising Stars in Structural Engineering recognition. The objective is to recognize structural engineers 40 years of age or younger working in the United States who have demonstrated exceptional technical ability, an aptitude for leadership, or have attained distinction in teaching, research or public service benefiting the structural engineering profession, their employers, project owners, or society in general.
Last year we received many applications nominating individuals from private firms (including self-employed), public agencies, non-profit organizations, and educational and research institutions. Our selections for the 2012 Rising Stars in Structural Engineering were presented in the March, 2012, issue.
- Nominees must be 40 years of age or younger as of Dec. 31, 2013, and working in the United States as a structural engineer for a private firm (or self-employed), public agency (i.e., federal, state, county, or city), non-profit organization, or educational or research institution. Self-nominations are acceptable.
- Nominees should have a record of demonstrated exceptional ability and professional accomplishments related to structural engineering in one or more of the following capacities: project design, management, leadership, teaching, research, and/or public service.
- All nominations must be made online at /tag/rising-stars/ Please select the appropriate category – structural engineer or civil engineer (ZweigWhite’s CE News magazine is recognizing Rising Stars in Civil Engineering in its April, 2013 issue) – and provide sufficient information about nominees as requested on the nomination form.
- The nomination period opened on Dec. 1, 2012, and closes at midnight (Eastern time) on Jan. 31, 2013.
- Any private firm, public sector agency, non-profit organization, or educational or research institution may submit a maximum of four nominations in each category – structural engineering and civil engineering.
- There is no charge for submitting nominations or for any engineer selected as a Rising Star to be featured in the Structural Engineer or CE News article.
- Each nomination should include a publication-quality digital headshot photo (jpg. or TIFF file) of the nominee – 2 by 3 inches or larger at a resolution of 300 dpi. This can be uploaded at /tag/rising-stars/ the image file name should include the nominee’s name. Suggestion: Photos of nominees at work or on a project site provide greater visual interest if ultimately published in the magazines, but selection is not based on submitted photos.
- All completed nominations submitted by the deadline will be considered by judges representing Structural Engineer magazine, CE News magazine, and/or ZweigWhite. Nominees with incomplete nomination forms may not be considered in the selection process.
- Rising Stars in Structural Engineering and Rising Stars in Civil Engineering will be selected from the nominations at the discretion of the judges based solely on the information submitted via the online form.
- Nominees selected as Rising Stars in Structural Engineering and Rising Stars in Civil Engineering will be notified via email on or before March 1, 2013.
Please take the time to nominate the younger structural engineers who deserve to be recognized as 2013 Rising Stars in Structural Engineering.
Daniel A. Cuoco, P.E., F.ASCE,