The American Public Works Association (APWA) named the Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year for 2009. "Selection of the most outstanding public works leaders from the United States and Canada is the capstone of our National Public Works Week celebrations," said Peter King, APWA executive director. "These leaders are selected by a committee of peers for their professionalism, expertise, and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in the communities they serve. They represent the best of our profession and are worthy of this high honor."
Award recipients include:
- William Kappel, director of public works, Wauwatosa, Wis.;
- Dan Hartman, public works director, Golden, Colo.;
- Raul Godinez II, director of public works, Oakland, Calif.;
- David H. Miller, P.E., city engineer, Branson, Mo.;
- Earl E. Newman, P.E., PTOE, assistant director of public works/traffic engineer, Springfield, Mo.;
- Daryl Grigsby, public works director, Kirkland, Wash.;
- Joseph J. Superneau, P.E., executive director, Springfield Water and Sewer Commission, Springfield, Mass.;
- William A. Verkest, P.E., director of transportation and public works, Fort Worth, Texas;
- Linda J. Petelka, B.Sc., manager, Business and Infrastructure Services, Halton, Ontario; and
- Nabi R. Fakroddin, P.E., S.E.F. ASCE, senior project manger, HNTB, Downers Grove, Ill.
Each Top Ten Public Works Leader will be recognized at a local event and during an awards ceremony as part of APWA’s International Congress and Exposition in Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 13-16, 2009. This marks the 50th anniversary of the award. Lists of the Top Ten recipients from 1960 to 2009 are available on APWA’s National Awards Program web page.