RESTON, Va. – American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) members have elected Robert D. Stevens, Ph.D., P.E., AICP, F.ASCE, as the society’s new president-elect.
The first ASCE technical region director to be elected to this position, Stevens joined ASCE in 1961 as a member of the student chapter at the University of Akron. Throughout his distinguished career, he has served on 38 ASCE and Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI) committees. Stevens is also a member of the governing boards of Engineers Without Borders–USA, and the American Road and Transportation Builders Association. He is retired but still works part-time as an executive vice president with ARCADIS-US in Fort Worth, Texas.
“I am thrilled to have this opportunity to be the president-elect of ASCE,” said Stevens upon being elected. “As we look ahead, one of the really important things is to help our members become more aware of the things ASCE has available to them and the ways that they can participate in the society to help advance the profession and themselves.
“The profession has changed so much from when I first began. While computers are now doing a lot of the calculations and analysis in our profession, we still need innovation and more emphasis on education and technology in engineering. This will help us provide a higher quality of life for people all around the world,” added Stevens.
In addition to the president-elect, there were elections for several other ASCE national offices. Below are the election results:
- President-elect – Robert D. Stevens, Ph.D., P.E., F.ASCE
- At-large director – Charles J. Hookham, P.E., M. ASCE
- Region 1 governor (two positions) – John C. Folts, P.E., M. ASCE & Theodore N. Green, P.E., M. ASCE
- Region 2 director – Christopher J. Menna, P.E., F.ASCE
- Region 2 governor (two positions) – William F. Brittle, Jr., F.SEI, P.E., S.E., F.ASCE & Jack A. Raudenbush, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 3 governor (two Positions) – Brian E. Meluch, P.E., M.ASCE & Darren T. Olson, P.E., D.WRE, M.ASCE
- Region 4 governor (three positions) – William D. Dubois, P.E., M.ASCE; John W. Fleming, P.E., M.ASCE & Carol A. Stevens, P.E., F.ASCE
- Region 5 governor (two positions) – Peter M. Moore, P.E., M.ASCE & Melissa S. Wheeler, EIT, A.M.ASCE
- Region 6 director – Kenneth B. Morris, P.E., PTOE, M.ASCE
- Region 7 director – F. Jay Burress, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 7 governor (two positions) – Scott T. Asher, M.ASCE & David R. Claman, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 8 governor (three positions) – Darren A. Hippenstiel, P.E., M.ASCE; Tony Chung-Gem Lau, P.E., F.ASCE & Christopher A. “Shoots” Veis, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 9 governor (two positions) – Kwame A. Agyare, P.E., M.ASCE & Oscar Serrano, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 10 director – Himansu K. Banerjee, Ph.D., CPEng, F.ASCE
The officers elected will begin their new leadership terms at the business meeting during ASCE’s Annual Civil Engineering Conference, October 9-12, 2013, in Charlotte, N.C.