Farmington Hills, Mich. — On Sunday, April 17, 2016, the American Concrete Institute (ACI) recognized over 100 professionals, groups, and companies for their outstanding contributions and dedication to ACI and the concrete industry. Awards were presented during The Concrete Convention and Exposition Opening Session and Awards Program, in Milwaukee.
The Awards Program began with the induction of Honorary Members, ACI’s highest honor, which recognizes persons of eminence in the field of the Institute’s interest, or one who has performed extraordinary meritorious service to the Institute. The following five individuals were inducted as Honorary Members: John A. Bickley, David Darwin, Vitervo Astrubal O’Reilly Diaz (posthumously), W. Calvin McCall, and Cloyd E. (Joseph) Warnes.
ACI also inducted new 50-Year Members, and recognized these 25 individuals for maintaining their membership and participating in ACI activities for at least five decades. Next, ACI honored 30 Fellows for their outstanding contributions to the production or use of concrete materials, products, and structures in the areas of education, research, development, design, construction or management. Go to Awards at www.concrete.org for a complete listing of the Honorary Members and Fellows that were honored.
The evening concluded with the presentation of the following medals and awards that recognize exemplary achievement, groundbreaking research, and service to ACI and the concrete industry:
- ARTHUR R. ANDERSON MEDAL — Colin L. Lobo
- ROGER H. CORBETTA CONCRETE CONSTRUCTOR AWARD — James N. Cornell II
- JOE W. KELLY AWARD — Frank J. Vecchio
- HENRY L. KENNEDY AWARD — Lawrence F. Kahn
- ALFRED E. LINDAU AWARD — Jorge I. Segura
- HENRY C. TURNER MEDAL — Instituto del Cemento y del Hormigón de Chile
- CHARLES S. WHITNEY MEDAL — Gary J. Klein, Sami Hanna Rizkalla, Gregory W. Lucier, Paul Zia
- CEDRIC WILLSON LIGHTWEIGHT AGGREGATE CONCRETE AWARD — Erik Holck
- CONCRETE SUSTAINABILITY AWARD — John W. Roberts, Larry Rowland, Alan Sparkman
- ACI CERTIFICATION AWARD — Alejandro Durán Herrera, Joe Hug, John R. Wilson
- ACI YOUNG MEMBER AWARD FOR PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENT — Zachary C. Grasley, Ishita Manjrekar
- WASON MEDAL FOR MOST MERITORIOUS PAPER — Rémy D. Lequesne, José A. Pincheira
- ACI CONSTRUCTION AWARD — Ahmed Osman, Whitney Morris, Ahmad Mohamed El-Magdoub
- WASON MEDAL FOR MATERIALS RESEARCH — Hugh H. Wang, Delia de Leon Guajardo, Hamid Farzam
- CHESTER PAUL SIESS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN STRUCTURAL RESEARCH — H.S. Lew, Yihai Bao, Santiago Pujol, Mete A. Sozen
- ACI DESIGN AWARD — Roberto T. Leon, Weng Yuen Kam, Stefano Pampanin
- DELMAR L. BLOEM DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD — Mary Beth Deisz Hueste, Jeffrey W. Coleman, Sri Sritharan, Barzin Mobasher
- CHAPTER ACTIVITIES AWARD — Xiomara Sapon-Roldan, Jeffrey Tanabe
- WALTER P. MOORE, JR. FACULTY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD — Gaurav N. Sant
- ACI EDUCATION AWARD — Jay H. Paul, Lance Boyer
- DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENT AWARD — Wisconsin Ready Mixed Concrete Association
The Distinguished Achievement Award is given to nonmembers who have made notable contributions to the advancement of the concrete industry. Wisconsin Ready Mixed Concrete Association was awarded for providing the advancement of the concrete industry through advocacy and legislative action, promotion, and education.
The Wisconsin Ready Mixed Concrete Association (WRMCA), established in 1939, is a nonprofit professional organization committed to strengthening the ready mixed concrete industry in Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (UP). Since its inception, the Association has developed its structure and membership and is proud to represent over 100 member companies.
Learn more about each of the awardees listed above at www.concrete.org.
The next Concrete Convention and Exposition will be held at the Marriott Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, October 23-27, 2016. Throughout The Concrete Convention and Exposition, ACI will hold over 300 committee meetings, 30+ technical sessions, an industry trade exhibition, networking events, and more. To learn more, visit www.concrete.org.