Farmington Hills, Mich. — The American Concrete Institute announced the availability of two new documents for concrete industry professionals: ACI 301-16 Specifications for Structural Concrete, and the ACI Field Reference Manual.
ACI 301-16 Specifications for Structural Concrete is a reference specification that an architect or engineer can apply to any construction project involving structural concrete by citing it in the project specifications. A mandatory requirements checklist and an optional requirements checklist are provided to assist the architect or engineer in supplementing the provisions of this specification as required or needed by designating or specifying individual project requirements.
The first five sections of the specifications cover general construction requirements for cast-in-place structural concrete and slabs-on-ground. These sections cover materials and proportioning of concrete; reinforcement and prestressing steel; production, placing, finishing, and curing of concrete; formwork performance criteria and construction; treatment of joints; embedded items; repair of surface defects; and finishing of formed and unformed surfaces. Provisions governing testing, evaluation, and acceptance of concrete as well as acceptance of the structures are included.
The remaining sections are devoted to architectural concrete, lightweight concrete mass concrete, post-tensioned concrete, shrinkage-compensating concrete, industrial floor slabs, tilt-up construction, precast structural concrete, and precast architectural concrete.
"There are several major updates to the 2016 document from previous version published in 2010, including more contractor-friendly language, removal of default requirements for slump, and provisions on alkali silica reactivity," states Michelle Wilson, Chair, ACI Committee 301, Specifications for Structural Concrete. "The specifications have been made clearer for the user by removing wording that is confusing or subject to interpretation."
ACI 301-16 complements the completely reorganized ACI 318-14 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete. This enables the designer to use the 301 specifications to complement the design. The specifications are totally inclusive of virtually all forms of structural concrete that are utilized in the building construction industry.
The ACI Field Reference Manual is a compilation of documents including ACI 301-16 Specifications for Structural Concrete and additional ACI documents on measuring, mixing, transporting, and placing concrete; concrete pumping methods; hot- and cold-weather concreting; consolidation; and concrete formwork. ACI 301 16 requires that contractors keep a copy of the ACI Field Reference Manual in the field office of any project where ACI 301 is specified. The following documents are contained in the ACI Field Reference Manual:
- 301-16 Specifications for Structural Concrete
- 117-10(15) Specifications for Tolerances for Concrete Construction and Materials
- 117.1R-14 Guide for Tolerance Compatibility in Concrete Construction
- 211.5R-14 Guide for Submittal of Concrete Proportions
- 224.1R-07 Causes, Evaluation and Repair of Cracks in Concrete Structures
- 302.1R-15 Guide for Concrete Floor and Slab Construction
- 302.2R-06 Guide for Concrete Slabs that Receive Moisture-Sensitive Flooring
- 303R-12 Guide to Cast-in-Place Architectural Concrete Practice
- 304R-00(09) Guide for Measuring, Mixing, Transporting, and Placing Concrete
- 304.2R-96(08) Placing Concrete by Pumping Methods
- 304.4R-95(08) Placing Concrete with Belt Conveyors
- 305R-10 Guide to Hot Weather Concreting
- 305.1-14 Specification for Hot Weather Concreting
- 306R-10 Guide to Cold Weather Concreting
- 306.1-90(02) Standard Specification for Cold Weather Concreting
- 308R-16 Guide to External Curing of Concrete
- 308.1-11 Specification for Curing Concrete
- 309R-05 Guide for Consolidation of Concrete
- 347R-14 Guide to Formwork for Concrete
- 347.3R-13 Guide to Formed Concrete Surfaces
- 423.7-14 Specification for Unbonded Single-Strand Tendons
- ITG-7-09 Specification for Tolerances for Precast Concrete
ACI 301-16 is also included in the new 2016 edition of the Concrete Construction Special Inspector reference package.
Learn more and purchase both documents at www.concrete.org or by calling 248-848-3700.