Fayetteville, Ark. — Civil + Structural Engineer is seeking nominations for its sixth annual Rising Stars in Civil + Structural Engineering, recognizing younger professionals whose exceptional technical capability, leadership ability, effective teaching or research, or public service has benefited the civil or structural engineering professions, their employers, project owners, and society. The rules are the same as in previous years, but the dates and nomination method have changed:
- Nominees must be 40 years of age or younger as of Dec. 31, 2016, and working in the United States as a civil or structural engineer for a private-sector company (or self-employed), public agency (i.e., federal, state, county, or city), military, non-profit organization, or educational or research institution. Self-nominations are acceptable.
- Nominees should have a record of demonstrated exceptional ability and professional accomplishments related to civil or structural engineering in one or more of the following capacities: project design; management; leadership; teaching; research; and/or public service.
- All nominations must be made via email sent to email@example.com. Nominating emails must provide the following information, either in the body of the email or as an attached Word document:
- Category — civil engineering or structural engineering
- Nominee’s information, including name, credentials/certifications (i.e., P.E., S.E., LEED AP, etc.), title, employer, city, state, email address, and age as of Dec. 31, 2016
- Nominee’s degree(s) earned, including school(s) and major(s)
- Nominee’s professional accomplishments — Describe the nominee’s demonstrated ability and specific accomplishments related to civil engineering or structural engineering in one or more of the following capacities: project design; management; leadership; teaching; research; and/or public service (maximum of 500 words)
- Significant projects the nominee been involved with and the nominee’s role in each (maximum of 250 words)
- Describe the nominee’s involvement, if any, with professional organizations (local, state, regional, or national), community groups, and/or public service (maximum of 250 words)
- Name and email address of person submitting the nomination
- Each nomination should include a publication-quality digital photo (jpg or tiff file) of the nominee — 2 by 3 inches or larger at a resolution of 300 dpi. This can be attached to the nomination email or sent via Dropbox. The image file name should include the nominee’s name.
- The nomination period closes at midnight (Eastern Time) on March. 13, 2017.
- Any private-sector company, public-sector agency, military unit, non-profit organization, or educational or research institution may submit a maximum of four nominations in each category — civil engineering and structural engineering.
- There is no charge for submitting nominations or for any engineer selected as a Rising Star to be featured in the Civil + Structural Engineer article, scheduled for the May 2017 issue.
- All completed nominations submitted by the deadline will be considered by judges representing Civil + Structural Engineer magazine and/or Zweig Group. Nominees with incomplete nomination forms may not be considered in the selection process.
- Rising Stars in Civil + Structural Engineering will be selected from the nominations at the discretion of the judges based solely on the information submitted via email as described above.
- Nominees selected as Rising Stars in Civil + Structural Engineering will be notified via email on or before May 1, 2017.
Two important notes: 1) Rising Stars in Civil + Structural Engineering are selected exclusively from the nominations received; and 2) selection is based entirely on the information contained in the nomination.