Chicago — The 2016 version of the AISC standard, Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications (ANSI/AISC 358-16) is now available for free downloading on the AISC website at www.aisc.org/aisc358. This updated version of the standard has been expanded to cover nine connections:
- reduced beam section moment connections;
- bolted stiffened and unstiffened extended end-plate moment connections;
- bolted flange plate moment connections;
- welded unreinforced flange-welded web moment connections;
- Kaiser bolted bracket moment connections;
- ConXtech ConXL moment connections;
- SidePlate moment connections;
- Simpson Strong-Tie Strong Frame moment connections; and
- double-tee moment connections.
In addition to general requirements and limitations, each prequalified connection chapter includes a step-by-step design procedure.
The new standard has been approved by the AISC Connection Prequalification Review Panel (CPRP) and is ANSI-accredited. “With the release of AISC 358-16, there are now nine prequalified beam-to-column moment connections for Special and Intermediate Moment Frames,” said Michael D. Engelhardt, chairman of the committee. “Work is already underway to prequalify additional connections and to extend the range of use for some of the existing prequalified connections, with the goal of providing designers with an ever-growing range of options.”
ANSI/AISC 358 is an essential companion to the upcoming AISC Seismic Provisions (ANSI/AISC 341-16), which outlines the requirements for the prequalification of seismic moment connections in Chapter K.
ANSI/AISC 358-16 is available as a free download at www.aisc.org/aisc358. All current AISC specifications and codes are available as free downloads at www.aisc.org/specifications.