Reston, Va. — American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) members elected Norma Jean Mattei, Ph.D., P.E., F.ASCE, as the society’s new president-elect. She is the third woman to serve in the office. An active member of ASCE for more than 20 years and a lifelong resident of New Orleans, Mattei is a professor in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of New Orleans.
In 2012, she was appointed by President Obama to serve as one of three civilian commissioners on the Mississippi River Committee (MRC), which advises Congress and the Administration on matters pertaining to the watershed from its headwaters in Minnesota to the Louisiana delta.
Her technical interests include large watershed management, material and structural testing, sustainable reuse of spent construction/fabrication materials, and residual stress measurement. She is also interested in diversity, licensure and ethics issues.
“Norma Jean is a talented and dedicated civil engineer and academic who brings a wealth of experience to ASCE,” said Mark Woodson, P.E., F.ASCE, president of ASCE. “As president-elect, she will bring to the position enthusiasm and passion for the profession and a clear vision of what is needed to prepare ASCE for the challenges that lie ahead. I can think of no more qualified member to lead the organization in 2017 as we release our national Report Card and launch the Dream Big project.”
In addition to the president-elect, there were elections for several other ASCE national offices. Below are the election results:
- Region technical director – Jean-Louis Briaud, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE
- Region 1 governor (two positions) — Anthony L. Cioffi, P.E., M.ASCE and Erin K. McCormick, EIT, A.M.ASCE
- Region 3 governor – Carl C. Sutter, P.E., C.C.S., M.ASCE
- Region 3 director – George A. Ghareeb, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 4 governor (two positions) – Jaysson E. Funkhouser, P.E., M.ASCE and Jonathan D. Keeling, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 4 director – Charles W. Black, Jr., P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 5 governor (two positions) – Steven M. Goldstein, P.E., F.ASCE and William L. Pratt IV, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 6 governor (two positions) – David F.J. Calabuig, Sr., P.E., M.ASCE and Jerry B. Paz, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 7 governor (two positions) – Aaron M. Frits, P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE and Jeffrey A. Young, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 8 governor (two positions) – Donald G. Kinney, P.E., M.ASCE and Robert L. Lamoreaux, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 8 director – Dale A. Nelson, P.E., F.ASCE
- Region 9 governor – James T. Frost, P.E., M.ASCE
- Region 10 governor (three positions) – Ronald Hine, C.Eng., Ing., M.ASCE; April J. Lander, A.M.ASCE and Jairo Uribe-Escamilla, Ph.D., P.E., F.ASCE
The officers elected were installed at the business meeting during ASCE’s Annual Convention, Oct. 11-14, 2015, in New York City.